Sustainability and Carbon Capture
Creating value and reducing our footprint
ICT believes that a key source of value generation for our clients is reducing our carbon footprint. By striving to reduce our footprint we are simultaneously increasing our cost competitiveness and minimizing our environmental impact.
SUSTAINABILITY IN OUR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
- Reduced Water Consumption
Hybrid (Wet/Dry) Cooling
TowersWater Vapour Exhaust Re-Capture
- Solar Integration
- Low Emission and Recycled
- Material Production
- Material Use and Waste Reduction
- Autonomous Logistics
- Supply Chain Efficiency Planning and Optimization
STRIVING FOR A NET ZERO ECONOMY
ICT is involved in the development of solutions for like-minded customers in the sustainable energy industry.
- Waste Heat Recovery Technology
- Clean Coal Carbon Capture
- Nuclear Power
- Concentrated Solar Power
- Zero Emissions Natural Gas Power
- Renewable Gasoline
- Hydrogen Production
In 2015, U.S. thermoelectric power plants withdrew 132 billion gallons per day of water from fresh surface water sources1. At 34% of all freshwater withdraws, this is the largest source of freshwater use in the United States. ICT recognizes that even modest improvements in water usage can have the potential for huge water savings across the country.
- Closed Loop Cooling (ACC) – eliminate evaporation loss using a closed loop cooling system
- Cooling Optimization and Efficiency Studies – reduce evaporation loss by design
- Solutions for Wastewater or Saline Water for Cooling – eliminate or reduce freshwater use
- Plume Abatement and Dry Cooling Additions – retrofit towers to reduce evaporative water loss
- Operator Training – optimize plant processes to reduce unproductive evaporation
- Engaged with Infinite Cooling Technology – water recovery from the plume
MATERIAL AND WASTE MANAGEMENT
We offer cooling solutions with less environmental impact. Our proprietary fills and plastic parts are made from polypropylene rather than the more conventional PVC. Polypropylene production uses significantly less CO2 than PVC and is 100% recyclable. Using recycled polypropylene offers a potential energy consumption reduction of up to 88% compared to non-recycled material2. This is in addition to the initial energy savings when the plastic is produced.
- Recycled Plastics – reducing the carbon footprint with material selection
- Increased Product Lifespan – Engineering long-lasting products to reduce waste and maintenance in the future
- Wood Construction – Cooling towers constructed from sustainably harvested lumber
- Recommissioning – refurbishing and reusing materials and equipment from past projects
The two main sources of energy expenditure in a cooling system are the fan loads and the pumping requirements. These two aspects can be controlled based on what type of cooling system configuration is chosen for the application. ICT collaborates with every customer to find the most energy efficient cooling system for their need, whether it’s an innovative solution or one of our well established products. After mechanical completion, we offer operator support and training to optimize energy consumption during all ambient conditions and process heat loads.
- Low Pump Head – we specialize in maximizing cooling capacity in low pump head applications
- Direct Drive Motors – high efficiency motors to reduce energy use and maintenance
- Natural Convection and Wind Studies – using the buoyancy of moist air or the wind to power the cooling process
- Heat Recovery Solutions – innovative methods of using waste heat productively
- Plume Recovery Solutions – harness the natural draft and potential energy emitted from a cooling tower
- Variable Operation – design solutions and operator training for up-to-the-minute matching of cooling capacity with heat load to save energy
REDUCING THE POTENTIAL EFFECTS OF CLIMATE CHANGE
Carbon capture will be vital in mitigating the impacts of carbon-reliant industries. Direct air capture technology, that utilizes air contactors, is anticipated to play a major role in capturing CO2 emissions that cannot be collected at the source.
To develop of Carbon Capture Technology while fulfilling the unique needs of our customers in an environmentally sustainable manner.
- Full Air Contactor Design
- Research and Development
- Detailed Engineering and Studies
- Supply and Construction Solutions
How it Works
Direct Air Capture is a carbon dioxide removal method in which CO2 is stripped from the ambient air. Using this approach, air contactors pull large quantities of air through an exchange medium where the air is exposed to the process solution formulated to extract CO2. The air leaves the contactor and returns to the environment with less CO 2 and the carbon captured in the process solution can be extracted for storage or utilization in industrial applications.